The holiday season is my favorite time of year! I seem to be out of the office more enjoying all the festivities, especially parties and shopping. I’ve also been known to take extended lunches to get some of my shopping done! (Shhh, please don’t let my boss know!)
As we’re nearing Christmas and the New Year, I know many of you will be out of the office during the holidays as well. I want to share a little secret that will help save you time when you return to the office.
It’s setting up a temporary greeting in your personal voicemail. Vacations and Holidays are the perfect example of when to use the temporary greeting. This keeps you from ever having to change your main greeting. Here’s how to do it:
Creating a Temporary Greeting in Avaya IP Office
When a temporary greeting is being used, no other greetings are active. The temporary greeting can be selected for a certain number of days – the maximum number of days being 30. When you enter the number of days, the end date is calculated and announced. When the temporary greeting time expires, the greetings that you have assigned to specific call types are used. If you have no other greetings assigned the system, a default greeting will be played to callers.
To create a temporary greeting:
- Log in to your mailbox.
- Press 3 to select personal greetings. If you have selected any call types, you will hear an announcement that lists the call types and the greeting assigned to that call type. For example, you would hear “For internal calls greeting 2.1 active.”
- Press 4 for administer call types. You will hear a message to confirm the call types that are currently identified.
- Press 1 to activate.
- Press 9 for a temporary greeting.
- Press 1 to record your temporary greeting. Speak after the tone.
- Press # when you have finished recording your message.
- Enter the number of days that you want the greeting to be active for and press # when finished.
• If the number of days selected is between 1 and 30, the greeting is active for the selected number of days. When the number of days has expired, your temporary greeting no longer works.
• If the number of days selected is 0, the selected greeting is your permanent greeting for all voicemail calls. The temporary greeting replaces the system default greeting.
- You will hear an announcement stating that your temporary greeting is active and the number of days that the greeting will remain active.
- Press # when you have finished to return to the greetings menu. The next time you log in to your mailbox and select your personal greetings, you will hear an announcement “your temporary greeting is active for X days”. You can:
• Press 1 to deactivate or remove your temporary greeting.
• Press # to leave the temporary greeting active.
Hope this helps take some of your stress away so you can enjoy your time off! If you need to change your Auto Attendant greeting, have your system administrator give us a call. We’re happy to help. I hope you all have a safe and happy holiday season!!